The Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID) Program. AVID is a college-preparatory program designed for students with recognized academic potential, an individual determination to succeed, and a desire to take challenging courses to prepare for four-year college enrollment. Students are recommended for the program and must complete a rigorous application and interview process for acceptance. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum and are willing to work hard.
AVID places these students on the college track, requiring them to enroll in their school’s toughest courses, such as Honors and Advanced Placement (AP).
To support them in the rigorous coursework, AVID students:
- Enroll in the AVID Elective to learn organizational and study skills
- Develop critical thinking
- Learn to ask probing questions
- Receive academic help from peers and college tutors
- Participate in on-campus enrichment and motivational activities
- Attend college tours to help make their college dreams a reality.
The online application can be found here.
AHS AVID Contacts
- AVID Administrator: Brian Plancich | @email
- AVID Counselor: Sylvia Headen | @email
- AVID Coordinator: Michelle Lukacs | @email (2022-2023)