Procedures and policies regarding student attendance
- All Day absences must be excused by the parent or guardian by calling the Main Attendance Line at 703-219-2211 to leave a message or in writing with a note to the sub school within 72 hours.
- If you receive a call-out message in error, please have your student check with the classroom teacher for that period.
- Prearranged absences (college visits, family travel, upcoming medical treatments, etc.), Students must use the FCPS prearranged absence form. The form is also available in each subschool. The form must be given to the student’s subschool office for approval at least two days prior to the absence. *If a student will be missing the end of the year final exams, further advanced notice is required along with the student’s AP’s approval.
- Fairfax County is very strict about tardies. The following will not be excused:
- oversleeping, power outages, car trouble, traffic, and missing the bus.
- Students arriving late to school (any time after 8:10 AM) must report to their sub school office to get a tardy pass.
- Students who are late for excused reasons must:
- have parent or guardian call the attendance line 703-219-2211 to leave a message letting us know about the late arrival and/or bring in a note from parent or appointment upon arrival to school
- check in with sub school upon arrival at school (even during class passing times)
Checking Out From School
To check out your student from school (doctor’s appointments or other excused absences):
- Planned Sign Out - we cannot accept phone calls for early dismissal.
- Send a note with your student to bring to the sub school first thing in the morning to obtain a pink checkout pass.
- The student must sign out in their sub school before leaving. There is no need for the parent to come in.
- If the student fails to sign out, the absence will not be excused.
- Students, who become ill during the day, must go to the clinic to call home as they may ONLY sign out from the Clinic.
- If you were unable to send in a note in the morning you can do either of the following:
- Fax a note to the school fax line (below) and call us to let us know it is coming.
- Park and come into the school with your driver’s license/ photo ID. Please allow plenty of time! You will have to check in at the main office before going to your subschool. The administrative assistant will send for your student while you write the dismissal note. If your student is in PE or lunch, or if the class is out of the classroom, it may take extra time to get them.
Student’s Responsibilities for Checking Out From School
- Bring the excused note signed by the parent or guardian to the sub school before school.
- Bring the pass to the sub school before leaving.
- If returning to school that same day, check into subschool office before going to back to class, even if it is between classes.
Main Attendance Line: 703-219-2211 | Fax: 703-219-2273