Procedures and policies regarding student attendance at Fairfax High School.
It is a student's responsibility to attend school regularly, on time, and follow assigned schedules. When students must miss school the following procedures must be followed:
All Day Absences
- Must be excused by a parent or guardian by using one of these two methods.
- Parents/guardians have three (3) days to excuse the absence.
- If you receive a call-out message, and believe it is in error, please have your student check with the classroom teacher for that period.
- Planned Check Out - (medical appointment or other excused absence):
- Please send a note or the Check-out form with your student to bring to the Attendance Office, Room L103, upon arrival to school; student will receive a pink check-out pass.
- If you do not send in a note with your student, please print, complete, sign, and email the Check-out form to [email protected], prior to picking up your student.
- Students must sign out in the Attendance Office L103 before leaving school (if your student brought in a note or parents emailed a note, parents do not need to come into the school). If the student fails to sign out, the absence will not be excused.
- If returning to school, the student must sign in at the Attendance Office, Room L103, before returning to class.
- Students who become ill, must go to the clinic to call home; they may only check out from the clinic.
- We cannot accept phone calls for early dismissal. We need written documentation or an in-person check out.
Students arriving after 8:30 a.m. must:
- First report to the Attendance Office, Room L103 to obtain a blue tardy pass to class. Students will be assigned an Excused Late Arrival or an Unexcused Late Arrival. Students who are late for an excused reason must:
- Bring a note from parent/guardian; or
- Bring in the Check-in form; or
- Provide a note from the appointment
- Parent/guardian should call the Attendance Line 703-219-2211 to inform the school about the late arrival.
Prearranged Absences - absences for more than one (1) day
- Request for Pre-arranged Absence must be completed by parent and signed by all teachers before the form can be turned into the sub school office for AP approval
- Student must use the FCPS Pre-arranged Absence form, which may be found in the sub school (A-LEE - Room A114 or LEF-Z - Room D127) or online on the FCPS website.
Attendance Phone Numbers
- Attendance Line: 703-219-2211
- Last Name (A-Lee) - Press 1
- Last Name (Lef-Z) - Press 2
- Spanish Speaking - Press 3